South Midlands Budgerigar Society

IMPORTANT: Animal Activities Licensing

Draft Minutes of the meeting held at Tillage Hall, Recreation Ground, Cambridge Road Waterbeach CB25 9NJ on Sunday 12th February 2017 at 3.30pm. 17 members were present as shown in the attendance book.

1. Welcome: Colin welcomed all.

2. Apologies:  M. Hill, D. Sharpe & Mrs J Sharpe. 

3. The Minutes of the Annual General Meeting: of 21st February 2016 were agreed and signed proposed J Al-Nasser seconded R. Clarke carried.

4. Matters Arising: C Hickman enquired about the usage of the laptops at both shows. R. Clarke also raised purchasing Salvers in place of Crystal.
 

5. Correspondence:  There was none.

Officers’ Reports

6. The Chairman Colin Potter expressed that the atmosphere at the Open Show accounts for a lot, there were very few problems, members always prepared to help, along with quality birds at the show made it a success. He thanked Ghalib for his prompt efforts in reports of shows.
7. The Secretary Beverley Hutt endorsed what the Chairman had said and thanked members for their continued support.  
8. The Treasurer Brian Whitlock reported that we had made a surplus of £297.50. With the purchase of laptop and printer.                                          The Acceptance of the Accounts proposed Mr G Al-Nasser sec Miss L. Hutt. carried  
9.The Membership Secretary David Turner reported all was in hand with 3 New Members total of 45 paid single.


10. Election of Officers.
Inauguration of the President. Mrs J. Sharpe
Election of Vice-President. Mr C. Thorne
President Elec 2019 : Mr A Haynes prop G. Al-Nasser sec Mr D. Carter carried.                                                                                   

Chairman: Colin Potter 
Vice Chairman: Connor Hickman 
Secretary: Beverley Hutt 
Treasurer: Brian Whitlock  
Membership Secretary: David Turner  
Editor / Publicity Officer: Colin Potter 
Patronage Secretary: Brian Whitlock 
Open Show Secretary: Bev Hutt & Colin Potter  
Show Manager: Open Show &. S. & R V – David Turner.
Committee: Miss L. Hutt, M. Hill, D. Duncan, S Clarke, D. Carter.  

The above nomination where taken in block. Prop G. Al-Nasser sec C. Hickman 
The above elections were all carried unanimously.  

11. Subscriptions: To remain the same. prop B Whitlock sec D. Duncan carried

12. Date of the next A.G.M. Sunday 11th February 2018 to be held at Tillage Hall, Recreation Ground, Cambridge Road, Waterbeach CB25 9NJ at 3.30 till 5pm 

13. Any other matters for the Committee: S & R V Show Manager. 

14. Any Other Business: R. Clarke made the proposal that the society help with the yearly costs of the staging, he proposed a one off payment of £200.00 along with £120.00 yearly for the staging rental to Cambridgeshire B.S. sec Mrs J. Al-Nasser all in favour carried.
Mr I. Gurr Chairman of Cambridgeshire B.S. thanked the society for their assistance.
Committee Meeting after AGM to discuss Judges & Mollindina Trophy.

Mollidina Trophy -  This year’s winners to be announced at Spec & Rare Variety Show

The meeting wished for a vote of thanks be recorded for Colin Potter.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 3.58pm.
 

To All Area Society Secretaries

 

I note below a notice and attachment that is being posted on the BS website which is self explanatory. Please encourage your members to write to their MP by 05 April, 2018.

 

I have written a letter, on behalf of the Society, to Michael Gove MP, Secretary of State, whose Department is in charge of these matters.

 

kind regards

Grant.   

 

 

ANIMAL ACTIVITIES LICENSING

 

You may be aware of legislation about to go through Parliament to come into force on 5th Oct 2018 whereby hobbyist bird keepers if deemed “commercial” by their local authority will be required to be licensed later this year.

The National Council Aviculture (NCA) have been liaising with SUN and other like minded groups to alert members of the need to write to their MP’s seeking their help.

 

A letter is attached and we urge all members to use this to write to your MP. Time is of the essence as we are advised that this matter will be discussed in Parliament on 05 April, 2018. The more letters from across the country the better. The address to write to your MP is House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.

 

This subject is also being covered by "Cage & Aviary Birds" in this weeks issue.

 

 

Grant D Findlay

TO DOWNLOAD A COPY OF THE LETTER, CLICK HERE

                                                                               

1. Welcome: Janice Al-Nasser welcomed all present and thanked them for coming. Thanking all who work hard during the year ensuring the shows run smoothly a sincere well done. Janice congratulated Colin Potter for producing the South midlands Messenger which was a credit to his dedication. Janice took the opportunity to quash the rumours that they currently had bred 140 French Moulters. 

2. Apologies:  C Hickman, G Al-Nasser, D. Sharpe & Mrs J Sharpe. 

3. The Minutes of the Annual General Meeting: of 8th February 2015 were agreed and signed proposed J Al-Nasser seconded R. Clarke carried.

4. Matters Arising: J Al-Nasser raised the point that it would be of benefit to clubs wishing to put club news onto the site. R. Clarke suggested that the schedule & entry form to be on it.
Also the B.S. condensed meeting reports will be sent so that they can be included.
 

5. Correspondence:  Letter regarding Budgerigar Spring Event 2017/2018
Budgerigar Society Convention 2020 action Bev letter to be sent declining on behalf of SMBS.

Officers’ Reports

6. The Chairman Colin Potter reported an excellent entry at the open show which was very fitting as it was Dennis Browns Memorial Show, Donations were very generous and particular thanks to David Turner, also Jini Sharpe and Marilyn Hill for their efforts with catering. He also thanked Beverley and her team in the office and our Presidents Janice & Ghalib Al-Nasser for sponsoring the Open Show Crystal Awards.
7. The Secretary Beverley Hutt endorsed what the Chairman had said and thanked members for their continued support.  
8. The Treasurer Brian Whitlock reported that we had made a surplus of £527.27 this was down to the 2 shows and the very generous donations. Beverley wished a vote of thanks to be recorded for a dedicated effort from Brian in producing yet again a professional set of accounts.                         The Acceptance of the Accounts proposed Mr D Duncan sec Mr C Thorne. carried  
9.The Membership Secretary David Turner reported all was in hand with 45 Life Members, 39 paid single, this is down on last year perhaps down to several not renewing and several deceased.


10. Election of Officers.
Inauguration of the President. Mrs Beverley Hutt thanked the society for the honour of the Presidency she promised to fly the flag for the society were ever she attended.
Election of Vice-President. Two names were put forward Mrs Jini Sharpe prop L Hutt sec M Hill & Mr Cy Thorne prop D Turner sec R Clarke. A vote was taken with Mrs J Sharpe taking the vote 8 to 5.
R. Clarke prop that C. Thorne President 2018 sec B Whitlock 
Action Bev Card be sent to Jini Sharpe wishing her a speedy recovery and congratulation.                                                                                    

Chairman: Colin Potter 
Vice Chairman: Connor Hickman 
Secretary: Beverley Hutt 
Treasurer: Brian Whitlock  
Membership Secretary: David Turner  
Editor / Publicity Officer: Colin Potter 
Patronage Secretary: Brian Whitlock 
Open Show Secretary: Bev Hutt & Colin Potter  
Show Manager: Open Show  &. S. & R V – David Turner.
Committee:  D. Brown, L. Hutt, M. Hill, D. Duncan, S Clarke, D. Carter, prop J. Al-Nasser sec A Haynes carried   

The above nomination where taken in block. 
The above elections were all carried unanimously.  

11. Subscriptions: To remain the same. prop B Whitlock sec D. Duncan carried

12.Date of the next A.G.M. Sunday 12th February 2017 to be held at Tillage Hall, Recreation Ground, Cambridge Road, Waterbeach CB25 9NJ at 3.30 till 5pm 

13. Any other matters for the Committee: Entry Fee to be looked at for Spec & Rare Variety & Open Show. 

14. Any Other Business: L Hutt asked the committee to consider the purchase of a laptop and printer for the society as the one currently used is very slow and the printer no longer work’s and was very cumbersome. After discussion it was decided that she looks into costing and report back to committee. Prop B Whitlock sec J Al-Nasser.

Mollidina Trophy -  This year’s winners to be announced at Spec & Rare Variety Show

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 4.25pm.
 

Summarised Report of the General Council Meeting of the Budgerigar Society held on 17th February 2018 at The Budgerigar Society Office.

 

  • The Chairman took the opportunity at the start of the meeting to congratulate the Welsh BS and Western Counties B & FBS on their 80th and 90th Anniversaries respectively. He hoped both societies would have a fantastic year.
  • The following judges were admitted to the Main Panel of Judges as of 1st February; Graham Barton, Richard Bowker, Simon Devaney, Simon Gage, Mark Gulley, Alan Melvin, Kirk Morrison & John Newell. Joseph Benzie has re-joined the Main Panel of Judges and Patrick Randall (Exeter) joined the Subsidiary Judges Panel. Appeals received from 4 judges to remain on the Main Judges Panel were accepted due to house move or illness.
  • Nick Flavell, Eric Peake & Jim Shepherd were admitted to the Retired Judges Panel.
  • More information was supplied about the Spring Event and Terry Tuxford was congratulated on the article that he prepared for the March issue of The Budgerigar.
  • There will be 21 Rule Changes put forward to the membership within the March issue of The Budgerigar to vote on; 4 are submitted by the General Council and 17 by members.
  • Ring Orders – the Society experienced huge problems with ring deliveries by A.C. Hughes, the ring manufacturer, with some orders made in the days before the deadline date of 22 November not being posted on 22 December resulting in over 140 members not receiving their rings until early January. Although it was the first time this problem occurred, as a gesture of goodwill the Society will refund those members who were affected. The society will pursue the matter further with the ring manufacturer.
  • The Society will contact other British metal ring manufacturers to obtain samples and quotes to discuss at its next meeting.
  • The new President’s Chain of Office should be ready by the next AGM in April to be presented to the new President.
  • The work on the new gas central heating system for the Northampton office should commence in late February.
  • The new 2 year subscription offer, launched on 1st October 2017, has been well received resulting in 178 (163 UK and 15 overseas) new members. Membership was 2,371 at end of 2017, an increase on 2016 membership.
  • The Promotional Administrator was congratulated for negotiating with Bird Pro company to sponsor the Society rosettes, including the Club Show, for the next 2 years. Garden Feathers also agreed to continue with their sponsorship of the cage labels as well as The Birdcare Company continuing with their sponsorship. Country Wide Seed will continue as the Society’s major sponsor and were delighted with a further uplift of seed sales during 2017.
  • The Patronage Administrator submitted a newly designed A5 certificate which was approved by the Council to commemorate the winners of the individual colour groups, including pair, team & colour budgerigar, throughout the year and a further A4 certificate for the overall league winner. The certificates to be sent to the 2017 winners and be available from now on.
  • 52 Colour Champions were registered during 2017 but no Grand Colour Champion was registered.
  • A letter submitted by A. Terheege and agreed by Council requesting that two extra challenge certificates be awarded at the Specialist & Rare variety shows for the Olive, Mauve or Violet and for Lacewing to commence from the 2018 show season.
  • The new Council to review the patronage package in the future about awarding Gold patronage to shows in remote areas, minimum benched figures at specialist & rare variety shows, allocation of points for CCs and other related topics.
  • As a gesture of goodwill the Budgerigar Society will award an open silver championship patronage with nil CC value to both the national show in Northern Ireland and the Exhibition Budgerigar Society (Ireland).
  • Club Show judges officiating at this year’s show on 29th & 30th September are Pete Hutchinson (President), Jeff Attwood, Wayne Bloxham, Gavin Carter, Dave Critchlow, Robbie Keeber, Ron Payne, Chris Snell, Dave Sturzaker, Adrian Terheege, Trevor Terheege, Graham Turner, Dave Wall, Mick Widdowson and Malcolm Taylor (South Africa).
  • The Saturday Gala Dinner will be staged at a new venue (Wheatley Golf Club, Doncaster) with transportation laid on for residents at the Holiday Inn Hotel.
  • Correspondence received from E. Beales (loss of birds), M. Chase (Club Show decor & website) and Association of Specialist Budgerigar Societies (associate membership).
  • NCA minutes of 11th October 2017 were tabled for information only.
  • WBO Minutes of 11th November 2017 in Budapest, Hungary were tabled with a comprehensive report given by the Society’s delegate informing the meeting about the new research project in Feather problems to be conducting by a university in Portugal, awarding the WBO Gould Award to Roger Carr, the new crested mutation the Hagoromo and for the B.S. to host the WBO meetings in both 2020 and 2025.
  • A ballot for the election of the new General Council will be conducted this year with 18 members submitting their names for election; 12 from the current council and 6 new candidates. G Findlay is retiring from Council after 26 years service, but will still attend Council meetings in the Administrator role.
  • A new statement will be added to the Bio-security guidelines to read “There should be no trading or exchanging of birds in the areas and car parks surrounding the show hall”.
  • The Society Administrator to investigate a Colchester based veterinary company with regards to the veterinary service.
  • DEFRA bio-security guidelines will re-iterated in the “Budgerigar” and BS Website as some cases of Bird Flu have been reported recently, mainly in the south of England.
  • Colour Budgerigars to receive points challenge certificates as from 2018 show season as per other colour criteria at the various types of patronage shows and will be eligible to be registered as Colour Champions as long as they are rung with B.S. rings. However, they will not go forward for major specials.

 

Dates of Next Meetings

 

GC Meeting -  Friday 27th April 2018            (Scotch Corner)

 

AGM            -  Sunday 29th April 2018 commencing 11am(Scotch Corner to coincide with the Spring Event)